3.10.2013

Chocolate Chip Cookies

To know me is to know that I can be an indecisive person. I will over analyze and over think just about anything if you give me a chance. From the big things in life to the little things, I will waver up until the last moment. But, if there's one thing in life I'm certain about it's my favorite cookie.

Chocolate Chip. No doubt about it.

It's a classic cookie with simple ingredients and heartwarming, soul-satisfying flavors that no cookie can compete. Well, at least in my opinion.

Like everyone out there who loves a good chocolate chip cookie, I've got one or two recipes that I return to time and time again. There's the now famous New York Times recipe, Kim Boyce's recipe using whole wheat flour, and of course my mother-in-law's recipe (a family classic). But, like a true indecisive, I like to try out new recipes wondering if it just might be a bit better.

In the case of this particular recipe, I was looking for something gluten free. I don't have a gluten allergy or even a sensitivity for that matter. I just like baking with different flours, because of the taste they impart. And, we try to be conscious of how much gluten we eat. It's a thing we do. So, I searched for recipes that included two flours I had on hand. Almond flour and coconut flour. I didn't come up with much that included both, so I tweaked a recipe that I thought had potential.

The original recipe uses only almond flour, but in my experience this tends to create a cookie that's a bit dense. I knew coconut flour would add some lightness, because it absorbs moisture fairly well and creates some crumb. The minor changes worked and this chocolate chip loving lady is satisfied.

Well, for now at least.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from Meaningful Eats

3/4 cup Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread
3/4 cup brown sugar 
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large eggs
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 1/4 cups chocolate chips of choice





Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar. Beat on medium speed until well combined, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, one at a time, making sure they are thoroughly combined between each addition. Add vanilla and mix until combined.

Add the baking powder, baking soda and salt to batter and mix. Add the almond flour, one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add in the coconut flour and mix well. Fold in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon and stir until thoroughly combined.

Shape dough into tablespoon rounds and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Press down gently on each round to flatten slightly. Bake for 8-10 minutes, depending on the level of doneness you prefer. Remove from the oven and place cookies on a wire rack to cool. Be careful as you transfer the cookies to the wire rack as they are soft straight from the oven. They will firm up as they cool.


1 comment:

  1. These look really good, would love to try them. Blog more often, woman!

    ReplyDelete